M. D. Ballard Family Blog

LULU’S LETTER (from Lulu (Ballard) Patrick to Roy Page Ballard) 1914

December 1914

My dear Roy –

Would you like a letter telling a little about the Ballard family? Not for

entertainment but for reference. I have a very limited amount of data, I wish I

knew more, for instance, regarding David Ballard who was born in 1749 and lived

seventy-three years. Whether he was born in England or America and to whom he

was married would interest me. Some day you may hunt it up. This we do know to

a certainty that sometime previous to the Revolutionary War the Ballards migrated

from England to the United States and the head of our family settled in one of the

southern Atlantic Coast States, one of the Carolinas. David Ballard was the great

grandfather of your father and mine. He had a son Joseph who came into existence

the 20th day of December 1770.

Joseph Ballard was our Great grandfather – he married a lady by the name of

 Elizabeth. (I have been trying to ascertain her surname as yet have failed). She was

 born two later than Joseph, namely the 10th day of February 1772. They passed

away within two years of each other: Great Grandmother died August 2nd 1847 at

the age of 75 years, while Great Grandfather was 78 years old when he died on the 26th

day of July 1848. They died in Indiana and were buried there. It seemed that

these Great Grandparents of ours lived in Grayson County, Virginia when their little son John,

in the twelfth day of December 1793, opened his eyes to this world.


Joseph and Elizabeh Ballard concluded to answer the call of the newer country and

moved to what was then considered “away out West” to Ohio and settled in Green

County. When their son John was a little past his 26thbirthday, on the 24 February 1820,

he was married to Kiddey Mendenhall, a young lady living in the same County. Kiddey was but 19

when they were married, her birthday occurring the following October the 7th 

day when she was twenty years old. Green County

was not, however, her birthplace. When she was an infant her father Amos

Mendenhall concluded to leave North Carolina, where she was born, and ry his

fortunes in Green County Ohio. I do not know who her father married or where he

was born: his tombstone relates the bare fact that he came into the world

September 18th 1772 and left it September 20th 1840.

John Ballard, our Grandfather, belonged to the Quaker Church as did his parents.

John went outside the Quaker Church to find his bride, Kiddy was a member of the

Methodist Episcopal Church, he was asked to publicly apologize for breaking the

rules of the Quaker Church, he steadfastly, proudly and emphatically refused to say

he was sorry that he had married young Kiddey Mendenhall, the Methodist,

consequently he was turned out of the Quaker Church. It seems to have been in the

blood of the Ballards to push on to newer Country. John and Kiddey, in 1821,

moved to Hendricks County, Indiana and cleared land for a farm, here they lived

for some time, eight children coming to them during their residence in Hendricks

County. The labor of clearing the land was very taxing to our Grandfather, he also

built them a big house to live in. He was not physically able to meet the demands

made upon his strength for such arduous pioneer work as was required. Perhaps

there was some strain of the lungs, at any rate he was an invalid for some years and

died when he should have been in his prime notwithstanding Dr. Osler’s views as

to when a man should be laid on the shelf. When he died he was fity-two years and

four months old. When your father was fifty-two what was he doing? He was far

from being Oslerized, that would be in 1884, some where near the time the Seattle

Hardware Company was started. I have heard members of the family say that

Grandfather had the stately dignified courage that your father had, they were about

the same height. In those day “My word is law” was the attitude of most

conscientious parents, especially it was that of the father and Grandfather was no

exception to the general rule, his disposition to be autocratic was increased to

unreasonableness by ill health, his strictness made his children fear him and while

they had the utmost regard for him, they did not love him or feel near to him.

Always as men and women they spoke of him with great pride as a man who

meant something in his community, this was especially so with the older children.

That he had an undercurrent of humor as well as sarcasm is illustrated by one of

the many stories I have heard father relate in regard to his discipline. My father

when a small lad ( he was only ten when his father passed away) complained one

night when he was tired and sleepy “Oh I wish I were in bed, I hate to go to bed.”

Grandfather hearing this childish lament, perhaps only a too familiar one, said

sharply “Dayton go to the barn and saddle Billy.” Not daring to question the order

he obediently went to the barn and saddled Billy and brought him around to the

door and told his father the horse was ready for him. Grandfather then said, “I did

not want him saddled for myself, but for you, my son, to ride to bed.” The poor

tired little boy then had to return the horse to the stable – no small job for the little

fellow to go out to a dark barn and lift a saddle off of a tall horse – that was

supposed to be a very impressive lesson to little Dayton. Think you it aroused love

in the heart of the lad? It was a keen sense of injustice that he carried but it served

to relieve the invalid from hearing the complaint a second time and perhaps at the

time worked off a bit of nervousness. About 1838 or 1839 Grandfather bought a

place in Marion County, Indiana and moved his family there. I visited Bridgeport,

Indiana when I was ten years old and I remember seeing the old home near there,

at that time it had passed into the hands of strangers, an oil painting of the old

home hangs on the West wall of Aunt Jane Chilcote’s living room.

The two youngest children Indiana and Ellen were born in Marion County and in

April 1846 Grandfather passed away at the old home, leaving Grandmother at the

age of 45 with the care of a large family. Their eldest child at home was David

Wesley then 22 years old and already studying medicine, so we may well fancy it

to lk[?] good executive ability and much bravery for Grandmother to manage the

farm and her large family. If the face of our dear little Grandmother be an index

she did it cheerfully and with no bitterness. I remember her well and intimately in

the yers between 1870 and 1890 She was always serene, had a happy smiling face,

indeed she must have been a wonderful character when you consider that when she

went to Indiana she was not much more than a slip of a girl. Uncle Joseph was a

baby then. The country was wild and I have heard her say that she feared the

Indians and wild animals before the house was finished and the doors made, they

hung something up to the doorway and kept bonfires all night to keep away the

wolves and other wild animals. When Grandfather went to the Mill it left her alone

with her baby and her fears, fears that were well founded, fears of a strong sensible

woman not imaginary ones of a woman given to hysteria.


About two years before Grandfather died the eldest son Joseph Harris, was married

to Nancy Harris, rather a coincidence that he would have married a Miss Harris

when his middle name was Harris, he had considerable education for those days.

He attended Asbury University of which Mathew Simpson – afterwards Bishop,

was President at that time. He taught school, afterwards, engaged in farming. He

was elected to the State Legislature while a resident of Hendricks County, Indiana.

In the early seventies he removed with his family to Lincoln Nebraska, engaging in

the hardware business with your father , later when my father bought him out he

started a hardware store at Seward , Nebraska. While living in Seward on May 1st

1880 Aunt Nancy died after an illness of fifteen months. In 1884 having sold his

business, he, with James Scanlan, started a bank at Courtland Nebraska that was

his last business venture. Four of their large family lived to womanhood and

survived him. Ths second, David Wesley, studied medicine with a local doctor,

afterwards graduating at the medical college in Cincinatti Ohio. He began

practicing at Monrovia, Ind. Later the call of the West came to him as it had to his

Grandparents, but this was indeed a far call for it was the fame of Oregon Ter.,

that had filled him with an overpowering desire to brave the dangers of an overland

trip to found a new home in Oregon. June 14, 1849 he had married Jane Hooker at

Mooresville, Ind. So together they made the trip in the summer of 1853 arriving in

Lebanon, Oregon in the fall.

Your father, a young man of nearly twenty, accompanied them. That must have

been hard upon Grandmother to have these two sons go upon such a long

hazardous journey. In these days of rapid postal services, the telephone and

telegraph the long wait before hearing of their safety would, to us seem almost


Uncle Wesley mde a place in the new community and was a well-loved and

successful physician. In 1866 President grant appointed him Governeor of the

Territory of Idaho, whither he removed with his family and resided there til 1875.

By virtue of his office of governor he was also Commissioner of Indian Affairs

for the Territory.

Prior to his incumbency to the office of Governor he served the state of Oregon as

Senator for one term and served as Representative for one term, do you see our

Uncle Wesley was more titled than any other member of John and Kiddey’s

family. No doubt you are often asked if you are related to either Dr. or Governor

Ballard, for I who have not been known as a Ballard since 1887 have had a few ask

me that question. He died September 18, 1883 at the age of fifty-nine years and

seven months, his wife lived some eight years after the death of her husband, of

their eight children five survived them. The year before Uncle Wesley was

married, Aunt Jane married Dr. Chilcote and the same year that Dr. Ballard took

his young wife to Washington, Iowa and and from 1852 til the day went to Oregon,

Dr. Chilcote they passed away it continued to be their home. On account of failing

eyesight Dr. Chilcote gave up the practice of medicine and entered the drug

business –later with his brothers-in-law started a bank. They had but one child,

John E. who died in 1851 on Danville Ind. only staying with them about two years.

While Dr. and Mrs. Chilcote didn’t have a large family to rear, their big generous

hearts led them to do much for a great many relatives, neighbors, and friends. They

often responded with heart, soul and purse to the need of those who to them

seemed to need it. Their neighbors troubles became their own. One of Dr.

Chilcote’s favorite ways of encouraging boys and girls to save their money was to

borrow their savings, give his note at 105 interest, some of the notes ran a great

many years, his executors paid off some of the notes in some instances quite a bit

of interest had accumulated. By the terms of his will Aunt Jane had the use of the

home as long as she lived. Often she expressed a wish to do something for the

town of Washington that would be a memorial. By the advice of his (Dr.

Chilcote’s) executors William E. Chilcote and Dayton M. Ballard she bought the

handsome home from the estate and willed it to the City for a Public Library. It is

now know as the Jane A. Chilcote Public Library. It was the first public

benefaction made in the town.

Aunt Jane’s tastes were literary and for her relatives and friends she had a privately

printed edition of a collection of her essays. The first essay “The Morning will

Dawn” gave the book its title. Dr. Chilcote passed to the great beyond in 1895 and

Aunt Jane followed March 13, 1901.

After Joseph, Wesley, Jane and Martin left home, Grandmother had four left but

very soon Samuel Griffenn Owen won the heart of Aunt Mary and on January 14th

they were married, so she too, left Grandmother and they established a home

of their own. Th latter part of that year a baby girl came to them who they named

Ada Inez. They first lived in Indiana afterwards moving to Washington Iowa and

then to Lincoln Nebraska. Mr. Owen was in the Drug and Banking business most

of his life. After retiring riom business they moved to San Francisco where Aunt

Mary died in November of the year 1888 at the age of fifty-eight years and five

months. Uncle Owen followed her in March of the year 1892. Father was the next

to leave home. At Uncle Chilcote and Aunt Jane, who through life treated him as

nearer than a brother, Uncle taking a fatherly interest in the young Dayton. As

blindness came to Uncle it was Father he wanted to come to him and be his

companion and look after his business. This he did and was with him in his last

hours. Father clerked in the Chilcote Drugstore until his father’s estate was

distributed, then he embarked in business for himself. In 1857 he was married to

Miss Irene Grantham, he was 22 and sh was almost 19 years of age. They had four

children, Lulu, John, Mary, and Frederick.

Father moved a great many times and was in the Drug, Hardware, or Loan

Business most of his life. I cannot tell of my dear Father as I could of one not so

near and dear. I know his fine qualities of mind and heart, his sweet sunny

disposition and so do you. I have said little of your father for you know so much

more than I do. I have this advantage of you however, for I knew him when he was

single, he came into our lives as his bachelor Uncle from the land of the setting

sun. There was great excitement when we learned he was coming to Washington,

Iowa to live and go into the hardware business with my father. We children wrote

to him to bring us a button for our glass charm string, and he did – brought each of

us a perfectly gorgeous one from San Francisco. I assure you we each considered

them the star of the whole string. It was with pride that we told that our Uncle

brought to each of us older girls Ada, Cora and myself a button from the Far West.

Mine looked like a great big lovely topaz. I wonder if that was not your father’s

favorite stone? His first gift to Aunt Harriet was a topaz set of Jewelry.

It would take a volume to tell what Uncle Martin and Aunt Harriet were to me. In

1896 when I was sad and lonely they wrote to me to come to Seattle and make

their home mine, which as you know I did for almost two years. I only paid them

$10.00 a month for room and board perhaps just about as the room was worth.

Aunt Lide was the next to leave the home nest, when in 1856 she was married to

Jeptha Banta. They had but one child, Cora.Mr. Banta was in the Civil War when

he was taken ill with typhoid fever and died in Memphis, Tenn. in 1863. In May of

that same year Aunt Lide went from her Indiana home to Washington, Iowa, she

and Cora made their home with Uncle Owen and Aunt Mary. It was here that she

met Dr. J.R. Richards and was married to him in 1867. Dr. Richards had given up

the practice of Medicine and engaged in the Banking business.

They continued to live in Washington, Iowa until 1878 when they decided to

follow other relatives who had located in Lincoln Nebraska. There he assumed the

Presidency of the State National Bank of which he had a controlling interest since

1875. The rapid advance of City Lots made him a comparatively rich man, rich for

that small city and rich for those times when money was not so plentiful and

millionaires were rare. While on a trip to Seattle he suddenly expired at your

father’s home on the 3d day of April 1891. Dr. Richard and Dr. Chilcote seemed as

near to the relationship as if the Ballard blood ran in their veins. When your

Mother passed away Aunt Ella wrote to Aunt Lide the same thing about your

mother and mine. Five years after Dr. Richards died Aunt Lide in November

married Judge J.R, Lewis of San Jose Cal. They made their home there till after the

earthquake in 1905. Everything in and around San Francisco, San Jose and other

points nearby looked so desolate and foreign they decided to move to Los

Angeles, where in March 1011 the Judge passed away.

In 1861 Aunt Ella was married to Albert W. Cox. That was the year Aunt Ella, the

youngest child, became of age and by the terms of Grandfather’s will the estate

was distributed. The home was broken up and Grandmother from thence to the day

of her death made her home with Aunt Ella. With them she moved to Lincoln

Nebraska afterwards to Hastings Nebraska. At the latter place in 1891 when almost

ninety-one years old she died. She retained her faculties up to the time of a stroke

of paralysis some eight or nine days previous to her death, to the very last she was

a help and inspiration to her children and grandchildren, who were fortunate

enough to be with her. Upon her 90th birthday, the children and some of the

grandchildren gathered from far and near to celebrate the event. Your father and

mother made the long journey from Seattle to Hastings Nebraska, Grandmother is

buried in what is know as “The New Cemetary at Hastings Nebr. This I meant

should reach you by the 25th, but as you see it is late.

With love and New Years Greetings I am

Yours, (signed) Lulu


December 27th, 1914

Family Record of John and Kiddey Ballard


Joseph Harris Ballard – Born Dec 6 1820 in Green County, Ohio


Died Oct 18, 1888

Amos Ballard – Born November 17 1822 in Hendricks County Indiana

 Died in infancy

 David Wesley Ballard – Born February 2nd 1824 in Hendricks County Ind.

Died Sept.18 1883


Eliza Ballard – Born February 7 th 1826 in Hendricks County, Ind.

Died in early childhood


Jane Amelia Ballard – Born February 21st, 1828 in Hendricks County, Ind.

Died March 13th, 1901


Mary Eveline Ballard – Born July 30 ? Hendricks County, Ind.

 Died November 30th 1888


Martin Dickerson Ballard Born October 7th, 1832 Hendricks Co. Ind.

Died April 26th  1907

Dayton Hendricks Ballard – Born March 20th,, 1835



Eliza Alice Ballard – Born August 31 1837 Hendricks Co. Ind.


 Indiana Ballard – Born August 18 1840 in Marion CoIndiana

Died about nine years of age.


Ellen Ballard – Born April 25th, 1843 in Marion Co Ind.



Ballard Cousins:


Joseph’s Family

Minerva married Dr. N. Beachley

 Laura “ Arthur Weichbrodt

 Bell “ Dwight Rounds

 Victoria “ Clayton Porter

  Carrie “ Charles Hackleman

 Florence “ John Staten

 Frank “ Sutta Finch (?)

 Maude “ Robert Wright

 Ora “ Elmer Heifner – afterwards Mr. Ross


Mary’s Family

Ada married Rolland H. Oakley


Martin’s Family

 Roy “ Olive Murphy

 Jessie “ Dr. Logan Geary


Dayton’s Family

 Lulu “ J. R. Patrick

 John “ Adele Mc Neilan

 Mary “ James B. Scanlan


Eliza’s Family

 Cora “ Seneca Dow


Ella’s Family

 Eva “ A. Yeazel – afterwards Dr. Fred Test

 Mary “ Edwin Allen


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: